Listen to some audio...
Eh La Bas Sweet Lotus Blossom
Lay Your Racket Let's Incorporate
I Can't Dance (I Got Ants in My Pants!)
Your Racket Daddy (4:42) (bpm 250)
2. Boola Hoo (Boola Boo) (3:21) (bpm 197)
3. Delta Bound (5:06) (bpm 95)
4. Eh, la Bas (4:00) (bpm 185)
5. Sweet Patootie (4:15) (bpm 112)
6. How Could Red Riding Hood? (4:26) (bpm 220)
7. Getting Some Fun out of Life (3:27) (bpm 123)
8. New Orleans (3:14) (bpm 82)
9. Creole Song (C’est l’autre Can can) (4:14) (bpm 190)
10. I Would Do Anything for You (4:38) (bpm 250)
11. Let's Incorporate (3:01) (bpm 190)
12. Sweet Lotus Blossom (5:37) (bpm 105)
13. I Can't Dance (I Got Ants in My Pants) (5:04) (bpm 235)
The Album Musicians:
Did you know?
Fun Facts about the album music...
Alex Hill, the son of an African Episcopalian minister, devoted his life to secular music. In his brief 30 years, he worked for Fats, Duke, and Condon... and penned “Delta Bound” and “I Would Do Anything for You.”
Boola Hoo was originally a 1917 foxtrot called Boola Boo. By the
time the Washboard Rhythm Kings recorded it in 1931, “Boo” had become “Hoo.”
"I Can’t Dance (I Got Ants in My Pants)" had just one verse about ducks and being broke, but the Georgia Washboard Stompers added two new verses... and we added one, too.
“Let’s Incorporate” was published right before the Stock Market crash of 1929.
Coslow and Johnston wrote “Sweet Lotus Blossom” for a 1934 Paramount Picture called “Murder at the Vanities.” The song was originally titled “Marahuana,” but it was re-named “Sweet Lotus Blossom” for a Mercury Record release.
Duke said: “Bechet, to me, was the very epitome of jazz ... everything he played in his whole life was completely original. I honestly think he was the most unique man to ever be in this music.” Yes, indeed.
Producers: Sherri Colby & Jason Jurzak
Executive Producer: Matty Bottel
Recorded and Mixed by Tim Stambaugh, April and May 2010
Word of Mouth Studios, New Orleans, LA
Mastered by David Ferrell
New Orleans, LA
Photos by Babs Evangelista
Harlequin Studios, New Orleans, LA
Photo Manipulation & Album Design by Jared Jurcak
Tilt/Shift Collective Fresno, CA